Monday, June 30, 2008

Suzhou


Yesterday I went to a famous landmark called Suzhou. It's famous for its silk and water gardens.
I must say Suzhou is one of the most scenic places I've seen in China. The gardens are located in the house of a nobleman, with separate quarters for each member of the family.

I also visited a Buddhist Temple in Suzhou. Here is the outside of one of the buildings in the complex. It is disrespectful to take pictures inside the temple, but I can describe it: A giant, almost ridiculous-looking golden statue sits in the middle of the hall, with lavish decorations around it. On both sides of the hall is a line of golden monk statues, each with a different face.

Not being Buddhist, I thought I would remain unaffected by this centerpiece of faith, the faith of possibly 500 million people. But the place definitely had a certain ominous feel, like the statues were frowning on you. I realized how far removed I was from the Chinese culture, as I saw a woman bow with the utmost reverence to the statue.

However, I did light incense outside of the temple. You light this big wooden stick, say a prayer facing Buddha, and bow in all four directions. This is my "I don't know what I'm doing" stance.

I prayed to find God. Ha. Ironic.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I wish I could see more, everything looks so beautiful

Nika said...

OMG. The design of the temple. So beautiful.